February 13, 2018
- INCENT was updated based on a released correction from BLS for the source variable TRINCEN2.
- Posted 2016 Eating and Health Module data.
July 10, 2017
- Fixed an error in SCHLCOLL in the 2016 data.
July 5, 2017
- Posted 2016 ATUS data.
June 7, 2017
- FASTFDFREQ has been updated; 11 cases previously coded as 14 are now coded as 15.
April 17, 2017
- The 2015 Eating and Health Module data are now available.
March 14, 2017
- Users may now request extracts that deliver household-level and person-level variables on activity records. To receive data in this format, select rectangular (activity) as your data structure.
- Information about eldercare recipients to whom the ATUS respondent provided care is now available via the extract system. Note that these data are only available with hierarchical extracts. To request these data, select hierarchical (include eldercare) as your data structure.
- IPUMS constructed family interrelationship or "pointer" variables are now available for ATUS-X (see SPLOC). Users may either download the variables or use the IPUMS attach characteristics feature in the extract system, which allows for parent and spouse characteristics such as age or education to be attached to child and spouse records.
- Family interrelationship variables are now available for all samples. These variables indicate who in the household is a person's probable spouse/partner and parents. These variables include MOMLOC, MOMLOC2, POPLOC, POPLOC2, and SPLOC. Detailed rule variables indicate how these links were formed (MOMRULE, MOM2RULE, POPRULE, POP2RULE, and SPRULE. Other variables use the family interrelationship variables to calculate important information, including age of the youngest child (YNGCH), age of the eldest child (ELDCH), number of children (NCHILD), and number of children under 5 (NCHLT5).
October 12, 2016
- COUNTY is now available for all ATUS samples.
August 16, 2016
- A Questionnaire Text tab has been added for many variables. It shows the exact wording of questions for each year the variable is available. For example: GENHEALTH is comparable across years and the question wording is identical even though the question was asked as part of different modules.
July 14, 2016
- Posted 2014 Eating and Health Module data.
- Posted 2015 ATUS Data and new versions of all previously available data.
- POVERTY130 and POVERTY185 codes have changed to accommodate the 2014 Eating and Health Module data. Changes to the data are as follows: 1) values previously coded as 1 are now coded as 10; 2) values previously coded as 2 are now coded as 20; 3) codes 11 and 12 are new and are only available for 2014.
- EDUCYRS codes have been modified to accommodate differences over time (see comparability for the timing and nature of changes).
April 18, 2016
- Information about the individuals to whom ATUS respondents provided care is now available outside of the extract system.
Added Eldercare Data Files.
February 8, 2016
- CPSIDP is now available and may be used to link ATUS records (including respondents, non-respondents, and household members) to their observations in IPUMS-CPS. Users should note that a small number of individuals will not link to CPS; these are people who entered the household after the final CPS interview.
- A limited number of secondary eating and drinking start and stop time values have changed due to rounding. Specifically, this happened for activities where the start or stop time was on the half minute.
December 21, 2015
- HRHHID2_CPS8 has been constructed for cases in 2003 and 2004 for which it was not previously available.
July 16, 2015
- METVALUE has been added to the ATUS-X for all years of data.
July 15, 2015
- IND_CPS8 codes were changed from 0 to 99999 in 2010-2013.
July 14, 2015
- In 2013 RACE was incorrectly coded for about 100 cases.
December 8, 2014
- Small changes produced by rounding in editing rules for variables used in the secondary eating and drinking filter to create your own time use variables.
- Small changes produced by rounding in editing rules for weights: WT06, BWT, EHWT.
- Values for 2005 WT04 have been corrected.
- Some cases have been corrected for HOURWAGE_CPS8. Difference between the previous and the new value is only one unit.
- For 2006, 2 cases have been corrected from 99 to 98 for SPEMPSTAT.
- For 2012, 66 cases in RACE have been corrected. Additionally, 4 cases for SPRACE have been corrected.
- In BMI values 9998 and 9999 changed to 998 and 999, respectively.
- In 2011-2013, SPUSUALHRS codes for "Hours vary" were inadvertently being assigned to "NIU" and "NIU" codes were inadvertently being assigned to "Hours vary"; this has been fixed.
- Users may now include in their extracts pre-defined time use variables that parallel the definitions ERS uses in their publications.
- METAREA , METRO , MSASIZE are now available for 2011-2013.
- Information about eldercare providers is now available for 2011-2013.
- Additional leave module variables are now available.
August 27, 2014
- Posted 2013 Well-Being Module data.
July 15, 2014
- Posted 2013 ATUS data and 2012 Well-Being Module data.
- The BLS released a correction to the activity-level well-being weight and replicate weights on May 21, 2014 that has been incorporated into ATUS-X.
October 22, 2013
- Corrected 2003 RACE codes.
July 15, 2013
- Posted 2012 ATUS data, 2011 Leave Module data, and new versions of all previously available data.
July 12, 2012
- Posted 2011 ATUS Data and new versions of all previously available data.
- Users should note changes in occupation codes with the introduction of the 2010 occupational classification system OCC.
July 22, 2011
- Posted 2010 ATUS data and new versions of all previously available data.
- 2010 introduced new categories of people an ATUS respondent could report being with during an activity as a result of a change that allowed users to report who they were with while they were working. More information about these changes is available in RELATEW.
- The BLS released a correction on June 22, 2011 that has been incorporated into ATUS-X for original variable TRERNWA, ATUS-X variable EARNWEEK. Overtime earnings were omitted from about 170 cases according to the BLS.
Added Variables .
July 19, 2010
- Posted 2008 ATUS data.
April 9, 2010
- 2008 Eating and Health Module data are now available.
November 9, 2009
- 2008 ATUS data are now available as are data from the 2007 Eating and Health Module.
June 10, 2009
- Users may now use who the respondent was with during activities as a filter during time use variable creation. Hierarchical data are now also available, which allow users to analyze the activity-level data directly.
January 29, 2009
- Data are now available from the 2007 ATUS and the 2006 Eating and Health Module.
June 30, 2008
- Version 1.0 of the ATUS-X site is now available. This site allows researchers to select ATUS data from 2003 to 2006 for inclusion in their data extracts along with the variables they would like to analyze. Users may also define measures of time in activities, broken out as desired by time of day, by location, and by whether the respondent was engaged in caring for children during the activity.